Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Broken tile mosaic countertop





This was a fun project. My bathroom counter was a hideous plastic laminate. I wanted a stone counter but lacked the funds... Lucky for me, I had some leftover porcelain (or perhaps ceramic?) floor tiles. I didn't want to rent a tile saw, so I decided to do a broken tile mosaic. I love the effect-- it looks like pieces of slate. To do this, I removed the old counter, cut a plywood top, and traced my sink for the cut-out. Attached hardibacker to the plywood with screws. Installed the counter to the cabinets with various L-brackets. I grabbed about 20 tiles and began breaking them with a hammer. I was careful to break off large pieces of tile edge so that I would have straight pieces for the counter edge and backsplash. Then I used tile adhesive to attach the tiles, let dry for a day and grouted. I had leftover grout from my kitchen tile job. I reused the old sink and faucet, as they were in good shape. The only thing I had to purchase for this project was a sheet of hardibacker (concrete board) and some tile adhesive, keeping the entire countertop project to well under $30.

No comments:

Post a Comment